Author(s) : Doncheva Svetlana (24/3/2008)Translation : Nakas Ioannis
For citation: Doncheva Svetlana, "Agathoupolis (Ahtopol)",Encyclopaedia of the Hellenic World, Black SeaURL: <http://www.ehw.gr/l.aspx?id=11488>
A town on the Bulgarian coast of the Black Sea which during the Ottoman period was inhabited mainly by a Greek-speaking population. Agathoupolis was conquered by the Ottomans in 1453 and remained under Ottoman control until 1912, when it was annexed by Bulgaria. After that the city’s Greek inhabitants gradually started abandoning it. During the Ottoman period it developed into an important naval, shipbuilding, merchant and fishing centre, whereas various Greek schools operated there too. It was one of the two seats of the metropolitan of Sozoagathoupolis.
Prefecture of Pyrgos (Burgas)
East Rumelia, north Thrace
Bulgarian coast of the Black Sea
2. History of Agathoupolis (15th-early 20th century)
3. The Greeks of Agathoupolis
4. Educational and cultural life
copyright © 2008, FOUNDATION OF THE HELLENIC WORLD
The project is co-funded from the European Union by 80% and from the Hellenic State by 20% through the Operational Programme Information Society.