Diocese of Drystra
Author(s) : Kontogeorgis Dimitrios (20/6/2008)Translation : Tsokanis Anna
For citation: Kontogeorgis Dimitrios, "Diocese of Drystra",Encyclopaedia of the Hellenic World, Black SeaURL: <http://www.ehw.gr/l.aspx?id=11521>
Small diocese under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople; its see until the middle of the 19th century was located in Silistria (Silistra) and later on in Tulcea. The relatively scant flock consisted of Bulgarians, Romanians and Greeks. From the late 1860s onwards, when the rivalry between Greeks and Bulgarians escalated, the diocese was essentially split, since the majority of the Bulgarians founded the exarchate diocese of Ruse-Drystra. In 1878, the area was annexed to Romania and the diocese ceased to be.
Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople
Dobrudja (Dobrogea in Romanian)
West coast of the Black Sea
2. The diocese of Drystra during the Ottoman period (15th-18th century)
3. The history of the diocese of Drystra during the 19th century
copyright © 2008, FOUNDATION OF THE HELLENIC WORLD
The project is co-funded from the European Union by 80% and from the Hellenic State by 20% through the Operational Programme Information Society.